Monday, August 1, 2011

Strategies: Calendar Keeping

I finally started using Google Calendar in 2010 to keep track of all the crazy stuff I have to do. What's so great about any kind of electronic calendar, or any paper calendar for that matter, is that you can get all your responsibilities in front of you at the same time.


Of course, starting a Google Calendar or buying a nice shiny new planner are not difficult. Those things can actually be negative if we let the feeling of starting a calendar take the place of actually using a calendar. The tough thing is remember to put all your meetings, class schedules, writing times in the calendar. Maybe even tougher is remember to check your calendar.

These difficulties are why I've adopted Google Calendar. If there's one thing I know I'll do every day it's check my email. It's just so easy to click the little calendar link at the top, and so easy to enter and change appointments that I can no longer understand how I ever made it to any meeting without this resource.

Whatever calendar works best for you, lay it out on the desk and mark out all your unavailable times for teaching, class, meetings, and then decide when the best times are for you to write in 1-3 hour chunks, and block those out. Try to write on at least 3-5 days a week. And remember, writing time can also be reading, studying time!

No comments:

Post a Comment